Waterton National Park is one of the most beautiful sights in Canada and well worth a trip. There aren’t a crazy number of Waterton hotels in the park, but out of the ones there, these next six are solid gems. Here are the best places to stay in Waterton.
- Prince of Wales Hotel Waterton Review
- 12 Best Things to do in Waterton National Park
- How to Hike the Thrilling Crypt Lake Trail
- How to Hike Bear’s Hump
- 16 Cozy Cabin Rentals in Alberta You Will Love
The Best Waterton Hotels
Prince of Wales Hotel
If you are wondering where to stay in Waterton then look here first. The Prince of Wales Hotel is easily the most famous place to stay in Waterton, if not all of the Canadian Rockies. It’s at the top of this list of Waterton hotels as it’s truly a special place to stay. If you’re able to get a room here without booking months in advance, consider yourself lucky!
This National Historic Site of Canada has 86 rooms and is a great place to base yourself as you explore Waterton National Park. With a great location right above Upper Waterton Lakes looking over the town of Waterton and a two-minute walk away from the start of the Bears Hump hike, this property is gold.
By staying here, you are actually staying in a piece of history; read all about that here.
Here, rooms and interiors take you back to the early 1900s with modern amenities and comforts like fast WiFi and comfortable beds. They have a great restaurant and bar attached, and every night share some spooky ghost stories from the early days of the hotel.
Book on Booking.com: Prince Of Wales Hotel Book on Hotels.com: Prince of Wales Hotel
Rocky Ridge Country Lodge
Rocky Ridge is a charming B&B that is a 15-minute drive away from Waterton. So if you don’t have a need to be directly in the park and prefer a quiet setup where you watch the stars at night, this country-style lodge may be for you.
The cabins here are immaculate, with all the amenities you could need, including free WiFi in every unit. There’s an outdoor hot tub, as well as a sitting area with most rooms and cottages.
Guests remark on how friendly the owners are and that they are absolutely fantastic hosts. If you really want an authentic experience at one of the few still family-run places, don’t hesitate to book this B&B.
Book on Booking.com: Rocky Ridge Country Lodge
Waterton Glacier Suites
Located right in the heart of Downtown is one of the best hotels in Waterton. Waterton Glacier Suites is right next to the Waterton Lakes Golf Course and next to the Shoreline Cruise departure center, making it one of the best Waterton hotels if you hope to tackle the Crypt Lake Trail.
All the suites here have a fireplace and balcony, which is perfect if you spend some winter time in Waterton. There are three different room types here, perfect for couples, up to larger groups and families.
Since this Waterton Hotel is so centrally located, you are just minutes away from some of the best things to do in Waterton. Cameron Falls, for instance, is just a 10-minute walk from the hotel.
Book on Booking.com: Waterton Glacier Suites Book on Hotels.com: Waterton Glacier Suites
Bayshore Inn & Spa
The Bayshore Inn is the sister property to Glacier Suites; however, what sets this Waterton hotel apart from the others is that it is beachfront and provides direct access to Upper Waterton Lake.
Attached to the property is a Starbucks, Serenity spa, and one of the best restaurants in Waterton – The Lakeside Chophouse.
The Bayshore Inn is one of the only pet-friendly hotels in Waterton, which is great so you can explore hikes like Bear’s Hump with your furry friend.
Book on Booking.com: Bayshore Inn Book on Hotels.com: Bayshore Inn
Located a bit outside of downtown Waterton is this lovely lodge. This quaint B&B is locally run and has several different rooms to suit everyone.
Set back in the forest, guests are treated to amazing views of the natural setting.
Local berries and jam are served up in the morning before guests head out to tackle trails like the Crypt Lake Trail. There is also a common lodge to chat with others and recant the day exploring the park.
Waterton Lakefront is just 15 minutes away, just step outside and take a romantic stroll into town whenever you feel like it!
Book on Booking.com: Northland Lodge Book on Hotels.com: Northland Lodge
Waterton Lakes Lodge Resort
If you want to see one of the Waterton Park National Park hotels that give you access to a kitchen so you can cook your own meals, consider looking at Waterton Lakes Lodge Resort. This is a small property right to some of the best dining in Waterton – including Weiners of Waterton – which despite its name, is a must-visit!
Waterton Lakes Lodge Resort is well suited for groups and is pet-friendly and wheelchair accessible.
Vimy’s Lounge & Grill is a lively bar nearby with flat-screen TVs if you want to watch a sporting event after a day out. There is also an indoor heated pool and hot tub to enjoy. During the winter in Waterton, you can rent snowshoes and cross-country skis directly from the property.
Book on Booking.com: Waterton Lakes Lodge Resort Book on Hotels.com: Waterton Lakes Lodge Resort
Things to do in Waterton National Park
There are so many things to do in Waterton, especially in the summer. So before you lay your head down at one of these Waterton hotels, make sure to get up to something amazing! Some of our favorite things to do are:
- Have High Tea at the Prince of Wales Hotel: If you are looking for a refined experience you have to try afternoon tea at the iconic Prince of Wales Hotel.
- Bike the Red Rock Canyon Parkway: For the active adventurer, the Red Rock Canyon Parkway is 9 km of rolling hills, mountains, and grassland prairie with plenty of pull-off points.
- Paddleboard on Waterton Lakes: No matter what you have to enjoy Waterton Lakes in some capacity. We suggest paddleboarding or kayaking!
Where to Eat in Waterton National Park
- Wieners of Waterton: Small shop that dishes up amazing sweet potato fries and gourmet hot dogs with homemade sauces.
- The Taco Bar: Inexpensive and basic taco shop. Great for a quick bite!
- The Thirsty Bear: Hip bar that has live music and happy hour specials.
- Lakeside Chophouse: Fancy restaurant with lakeside seating. Perhaps the most expensive in Waterton, but great for a special occasion.
- Royal Stewart Dining Room at the Prince of Wales Hotel: Step back into history at the Prince of Wales Hotel. This is another place to have a memorable dinner on a special occasion.
Truth be told, the Town of Waterton is rather small and there aren’t a ton of Waterton National Park hotels, but out of all them, these are the best. Enjoy your stay in Waterton!
Plan Your Trip to the Canadian Rockies
- Travel Insurance: We don’t recommend traveling without travel insurance. We recommend checking out Safetywing or HeyMondo offers competitive rates for all travelers.
- Hotels in the Rockies: There are many places to stay, from luxury hotels to wilderness cabins. See all our favorites here.
- Pack for the Rockies: See our complete Alberta packing list here.
- Get Around: We suggest either renting a car to get around, you can search for rental cars on Rentalcars.com. Or embark on an epic campervan trip with companies like Outdoorsy or WickedCampers.
- Fly For Free: Turn your spending into airline miles and points with travel credit cards (that’s what we do!). See our favorite travel credit cards.
↓ Join the community ↓
The Banff Blog Facebook Group is your headquarters for the Canadian Rockies’ travel advice and information. Including hike info and off-season travel information. This is also where you can meet one another when you need adventure buddies.