One of the newest hotels in Canmore, and it quickly made a name for itself. The Malcolm Hotel is a luxury hotel situated in the heart of Spring Creek, a desirable neighborhood just steps away from downtown Canmore. The location provides a convenient place for Canmore’s restaurants, bars, and shops.
The Malcolm sits conveniently across from the Policeman’s Boardwalk, one of the best walks in Canmore, and is the perfect base for exploring Kananaskis, Banff, and all that the Canadian Rockies has to offer.
There are plenty of hotels in Canmore, so is The Malcolm one of the best? Let’s dig into this hotel review.
Quick Details of The Malcolm Hotel Canmore
- Address — 321 Spring Creek Drive, Canmore (GPS)
- Booking.com — The Malcolm Hotel
- Hotels.com – The Malcolm Hotel
How is the Location of The Malcolm Hotel?
We’ve explored many of the hotels around Canmore and can say that the location of The Malcolm cannot be beaten. Situated away from Main Street (8th street) on Spring Creek Dr, less than a five-minute walk away from Canmore sights like The Big Head and restaurants like Grizzly Paw, you can really get anywhere in Downtown Canmore quickly. If you need some groceries or a bottle of wine, Safeway and Save On Foods are less than a 10 minute walk away too.
The Malcolm overlooks the Three Sisters on one side of the hotel and overlooks Policemen’s Creek on the other. Just steps outside the hotel will bring you to one of Canmore’s best walking trails.
Rooms at The Malcolm Hotel
The Malcolm Hotel has 124 guestrooms, all with Canadian Rockies views. There are numerous room types available, and some are pet-friendly! Base rooms have either queen or king beds and look out to Policeman’s Creek and Lady MacDonald Mountain Range, while a Mountainview Premium King, executive king, and all the way up to the suite offer Three Sisters range views.
Beds here are incredibly comfortable, and rooms are incredibly spacious with a flat-screen TV with satellite channels. Nespresso coffee machines are in each room, as well as bathrobes, a wet bar with a mini-fridge, and even air conditioning (a rarity in Canmore).
Out of all the hotels we’ve looked at in Canmore, the rooms at The Malcolm are the most luxurious by far.
Hotel Amenities at The Malcolm
The Malcolm Hotel is the newest hotel in Canmore, and one of the only four-star hotels. We’ve ventured into The Malcolm on numerous occasions, typically to grab a coffee at The Pulse or meet friends for a drink at The Stirling, but until staying there, I didn’t realize just how luxurious it is.
Its ambiance and design reflect the royalty that the hotel is named after – Malcolm III, a Scottish King, which is where Canmore’s name is derived from.
One of the hotel’s main features is the beautiful outdoor pool, which has some of the best views in the valley. The outdoor pool and hot tubs offer amazing views of the Three Sisters, Mount Lawrence Grassi, and Ha Ling Peak. They are so good you’ll probably get all pruny since you’ll never want to leave. Don’t worry – afterward, you can hang out with a drink at the firepit area.
While the pool is excellent, guests should also take time to check out the elegant fitness center nearby. There’s also a conference area for weddings and other events.
Guests never have to go too far for food if they don’t want to either. The Pulse offers delicious lattes and cappuccinos for the morning, while The Stirling restaurant is a fabulous Canmore restaurant – perfect for special evenings out.
Parking at The Malcolm
Parking in Canmore, especially during summer, can be a real pain. It’s always important to find an accommodation option that offers parking. Thankfully The Malcolm has secure underground heated parking. Which you’ll be thankful for if you are visiting Alberta in the winter.
The Malcolm Hotel is Pet Friendly
While there are several options of pet-friendly hotels in Canmore, The Malcolm is easily the nicest. You don’t have to worry about coming to the mountains with your furry pal as The Malcolm has rooms allocated to pets. Just let the staff know at the time of booking so they can accommodate you.
So is The Malcolm Hotel the Best Place to Stay in Canmore?
There are plenty of places to stay in Canmore. From Airbnbs to Canmore cabins, there is no shortage of fabulous accommodation options. As far as traditional hotels go you can’t really beat The Malcolm.
It’s the newest and nicest place to stay in Canmore, only rivaling the recently renovated Lamphouse nearby. We’ve stayed in both for a short getaway, and while both are nice, we prefer the amenities and upscale feel of The Malcolm more.
Oh yea, and it’s pretty tough to beat that pool view! If you are visiting Canmore around Christmas, The Malcolm decorates the entire hotel to the nines. With a massive Christmas tree and holiday events, it’s one of the best places to stay in all the Canadian Rockies for Christmas!
Things to do in Canmore
There are a ton of things to do in Canmore, way too many to list here, so I made an entire local’s guide to what to do! That being said, there are some things you can enjoy just steps away from The Malcolm.
- Walk the Policemen’s Creek Boardwalk: This is right next to the hotel and one of the best walks you can take in Canmore!
- Rent a Bike and Cycle the Legacy Trail: The Legacy Trail connects Canmore to Banff via a paved road.
- Grab a Beer at Grizzly Paw: Just steps away from The Malcolm is one of the best breweries in the Rockies. They have a great outdoor seating area for those nice days.
- Paddleboard at the Canmore Reservoir: Rent or bring your own paddleboard and head up the Three Sisters Parkway for some paddles under Ha Ling.
- Mountain Bike at the Canmore Nordic Center: There are some great trails here to get dirty and have some fun on!
Plan Your Trip to the Canadian Rockies
- Hiking in the Rockies: Purchase an AllTrails subscription to have a mobile map on you as you hike.
- Tours (New in 2024): The Banff Blog is partnering with one of the leading tour companies in Western Canada so readers can experience the magic of the Rockies with other travelers – without having to think about a thing. See all our 2024 tour offerings here!
- Hotels in the Rockies: There are many places to stay, from luxury hotels to wilderness cabins. See all our favorites here.
- Pack for the Rockies: See our complete Alberta packing list here.
- Get Around: We suggest renting a car to get around. You can search for rental cars on Rentalcars.com. Or embark on an epic campervan trip. We like to compare prices on Motorhome Republic and Outdoorsy.
- Fly For Free: Turn your spending into airline miles and points with travel credit cards (that’s what we do!). See our favorite travel credit cards. We also use Going to watch for cheap airfare deals!
- Hop On, Hop Off: This tour is taking Banff by storm. It’s exactly what it sounds like, hop on and off a bus bound for all the best attractions at your own pace!
- Travel Insurance: We don’t recommend traveling without travel insurance. We recommend checking out HeyMondo, which offers competitive rates for all travelers.
↓ Join the community ↓
The Banff Blog Facebook Group is your headquarters for the Canadian Rockies’ travel advice and information. Including hike info and off-season travel information. You can also meet new adventure buddies.