Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa is a modest accommodation option located in the heart of Banff National Park. With rustic vintage vibes and an unforgettable mountain ambiance, a stay at the Banff Caribou is a delight at all times of the year!
- Staying at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
- Juniper Hotel & Bistro in Banff
- 10 Best Family Hotels in Banff
- Staying at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
- Address — 521 Banff Ave, Banff
- Neighborhood — Right on Banff Avenue
- Booking.com — Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
- Hotels.com — Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
Why Stay at Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa?
When deciding where to stay in Banff, the downtown area always comes to mind. If the sight of cute cabins with famous peaks like Cascade Mountain and Mount Rundle excites you, then consider booking a stay at the Banff Caribou. It’s one of the more affordable places to stay in Banff, and one where you can easily have a nice vacation here without breaking the bank.
From its location to comfortable suites and amenities, there are so many reasons to book here. Continue reading as we share the pros and cons of staying at the Banff Caribou Lodge in Banff.
Banff Caribou Lodge Boasts an Amazing Location
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa is a great value hotel property. From the hotel rooms, you are welcomed to stunning mountain views, modern amenities, and more.
Guests love the location of the property as it’s right on Banff Avenue. Banff Avenue is the main street of Banff National Park, and from the lodge, you can easily walk down the road filled with all the main Banff shops, the best Banff restaurants, breweries, and local cafes.
If you are looking for that famous Instagrammable shot of Cascade Mountain behind Banff Ave you are within walking distance from Banff Caribou.
Banff Caribou is Exceptional in the Winter
Banff is extra special in the winter months, and the Banff Caribou cabins are even more mesmerizing covered in snow.
Because Banff Caribou is just a short walk from the hotel to Banff Avenue, you can enjoy all the snowy views as you walk to the main town center. Some of the best things to do in the winter in Banff are ice skate on the frozen lakes, hike to see Bow Falls, take the Banff Gondola up Sulphur mountain, and drink hot chocolate at Seed and Salt.
When you get back from your adventures, you can soak in a hot pool at the on-site property at Banff Caribou Lodge.
Views and Modern Hotel Amenities at Banff Caribou
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa is home to a steakhouse restaurant, a full-service spa, a hot tub, and beautiful suites. It truly makes your stay comfortable and memorable.
- On-Site Restaurant: Keg Steakhouse & Bar
- Spa: Red Earth Spa
The hotel also offers free WiFi, an exercise room, and complimentary Banff Local Roam bus passes. The property has 184 mountain-style hotel rooms that you can book. The room rates will usually be in the mid-budget range and start at $110 in the off season. The earlier you book, the better deal you will get on your Banff accommodation.
If you are visiting in the winter, rest assured that Banff Caribou has complimentary heated underground parking on all room reservations. Indeed a treat when staying on Banff Avenue any time of year.
Banff Caribou Prides Itself on Beautiful Interiors
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa gives a very cozy and rustic feel upon entering the property. It has a ‘log cabin’ type of vibe inside. Everything blends nicely with the whole vibe of visiting Banff National Park, from the lobby to the restaurant and the front desk area.
Rooms are modern, with clean and comfortable beddings (double beds or king-size for two). Bathrooms are beautifully decorated with caribous on the wall and come with all modern amenities – shampoo, hairdryer, soap, lotions, etc.
Many room suites offer mountain views, with some of the more basic rooms even having a balcony. Higher tier rooms like the Corner Loft Suite and Mountain Loft Suite have a fireplace and private hot tub.
Amenities for Long Term Stay at Banff Caribou
Banff Caribou is a great place to stay in Banff long term as well. There is an exercise room, laundry room, and vending machines available on site. I recommend everyone come to Banff for at least a week as there are so many things to do. If visiting for multiple-day, you’ll really appreciate extras like a laundry room.
Banff Caribou is a Fantastic Place to Book Events
Surrounded by the famous mountains of Banff, Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa also offers its event halls for wedding ceremonies and business meetings.
There are two meeting/event hosting rooms.
- Tundra Meeting Room: Capacity of about 30 people
- Woodlands Meeting Room: Capacity of about 60 guests
Enjoy a Fantastic Restaurant on Site
Keg is a popular Canadian restaurant, with branches all over the country and the United States. Thankfully there is one in Banff – Keg Steakhouse & Bar is located on the property, open to guests and non-guests for breakfast and dinner.
You can check out the menu here, and the hours are as follows:
- Breakfast is served from 7:30 am to 1:30 am (Monday to Friday) and until 12:00 pm on the weekends
- Dinner is served from 04:00 pm to 09:00 pm Sunday to Thursday. And 04:00 to 09:30 pm on Fridays and Saturdays. Restaurant bar is also open during the same hours.
Room service is also available to all guests during restaurant business hours.
Relax at the Red Earth Spa
Red Earth Spa is a full-service spa in Banff, located in the Banff Caribou Lodge. Red Earth has six treatment rooms and offers manicure and pedicure packages, as well as a hot pool and steam room to enjoy at the spa.
Special Packages at Banff Caribou Lodge
Banff Caribou Lodge offers special packages for couples on their Banff honeymoon and families during winter (with ski passes included) and mid-week discounts. Some of the packages also offer special rates for breakfast and spa treatments or two or groups. You can view current special packages here.
Parking, Bike Rentals and Ski Gear Lockers
Banff Caribou makes winter vacations unforgettable. Their parking lot is located underground and is heated – so no more clearing the snow or freezing up. Plus, there is plenty of room to store your ski gear in the provided lockers – which is a bonus.
Ski shuttle services run to/and from the Sunshine Ski Resort, making getting to the hill accessible.
Activities Near Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
There are plenty things to do around Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa.
Its location is its unique selling point, and a short walk from here will take you to one of the highly-rated coffee shops in the national park – White Bark Cafe. There are also other restaurants and cafes located very close to the hotel.
Along with Banff Caribou, there are a few other Banff hotels in the vicinity. This stretch of hotels and restaurants is about a 10 walk away from Banff town center. You can go souvenir shopping at the center, visit the Cave and Basin Museum, stroll through Cascade Gardens, and enjoy a walk along the Bow River.
Criticisms of Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
Although Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa check off quite a few boxes (like location, prices, and modest amenities), there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Banff Caribou is located in the heart of Banff town, so if you don’t like the hustle-bustle of touristy areas, and prefer seclusion, then this isn’t the place. The hotel property is in a prime location, and is busy at all times of the day, with people, tour buses, etc. If you want a more secluded stay we would recommend Baker Creek!
- During peak season the nightly rates could be as high as $280 CAD+
- Although the hotel is clean, the rooms are a little dark and provide little natural light. This isn’t a problem if you are out all day exploring, but if you plan on being in the room during the day it’s something to take note of.
Getting to Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
Banff Caribou is located about 15 minutes from the National Park gates.
From Calgary, take the TransCanada Highway west to Banff. Then take the First Banff Exit. Turn left at the stop sign (onto Banff Ave). The Banff Caribou Lodge will be about 5 minutes (3.6km) from the exit.
Plan Your Trip to the Canadian Rockies
- Hiking in the Rockies: Purchase an AllTrails subscription to have a mobile map on you as you hike.
- Hotels in the Rockies: There are many places to stay, from luxury hotels to wilderness cabins. See all our favorites here.
- Pack for the Rockies: See our complete Alberta packing list here.
- Get Around: We suggest either renting a car to get around, you can search for rental cars on Rentalcars.com. Or embark on an epic campervan trip with companies like Outdoorsy.
- Fly For Free: Turn your spending into airline miles and points with travel credit cards (that’s what we do!). See our favorite travel credit cards. We also use Going to watch for cheap airfare deals!
- Travel Insurance: We don’t recommend traveling without travel insurance. We recommend checking out HeyMondo, which offers competitive rates for all travelers.